Saturday, December 25, 2010

Merry Christmas

Well, here is my first blog post.  I am sure it won't be my last!

Christmas day, 2010.  I got a great gift from a very special person.  I am so excited about it too!  You remember when you were a kid and your mom and dad had you make a list for a letter to Santa.  Well, now we know that they used that list to find out what you wanted.  My parents handed us the Sears catalog and said, list out your items.  That was our trip to the Mall.  The catalog would come in October sometime and we would wear the print off the toy pages.  As is I got a little older I used to peek at the ladies in their skanties too, but that is another story for another time.

Well the lists would get made, my brother's always had half the things I put on mine, and just about every year, he would get something from the part of his list that he copied from me.  It ticked me off every time, but it was a small price to pay for being the oldest child.  The thing is, rarely did I ever get a gift that wasn't on my list.  Rarely, did I open a gift and had genuine surprise wash over me.  I mean, I loved getting what I asked for, but there is something to be said for the element of surprise.

Today, the gift I got, blew me away.  In fact, I should not have been surprised by the surprise, as I have been received amazing gifts for two birthdays and now for two Christmases from this person.  But I opened the gift, and had no clue, no idea, not even an inkling what it would be.  She had asked me a few times what I wanted, but I just really could not come up with anything that I could get excited about.  I mean, I want an XBOX 360 Kinect.  But at 40 years old, I can't ADMIT that to anyone!!  I need underwear, but not really applicable either for this person.  Well, I have to say, that she outdid herself again.

I had gone a few years without LOVING Christmas.  I haven't been with family, don't have kids, so to me it was a nice day off work, with a few presents, and a chance to watch a few movies.  Since being surprised with the gifts i have been receiving, I have had a blast on both Christmas and my birthdays!

Surprise is great!  It has made me a kid again!
So what did I get?  Not telling!  But i will use it everyday, for many many years!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog